12:21 AM
0

A final plea to a few days off his sentence. Bradley Manning, the culprit of the largest leak of secret documents U.S. soldier recognized, made an act of contrition Wednesday, the last hours of his trial. The young man, frail and menu, turned, contrite and nervous, to judge Denise Lind has his fate in his hands. “Your honor, I want to start by asking for forgiveness,” said the soldier in the face of teenager who faces 90 years in prison after being convicted of acts of espionage. “I regret that my actions have hurt people, they have hurt the United States,” he told the court martial on the base at Fort Meade, near Washington.

The acknowledgment of 25 years has always acknowledged having sent 700,000 military and diplomatic documents to the website WikiLeaks, which published them, but he denies wanting to harm the United States and said he hoped to provoke a global debate. The judge was also acquitted of the more serious charge of “collusion with the enemy”, namely al-Qaeda. “I understood what I was doing and the decisions I made, but I have not fully grasped the extent of the consequences of my actions,” he said, promising to have understood now, during his incarceration and trial. “When I look at my decisions, I wonder how I ever thought I could change the world when I was a mere analyst.”

“I ‘m sorry unintended consequences of my actions, “he repeated, in a final attempt to convince the military judge, who must announce his sentence in early next week. “I thought to help people, not hurt them,” said the young soldier, wearing his navy blue uniform, the crew cut hair and glasses with thin frames. This is the first time that Bradley Manning apologized on his actions since his trial began on June 3. He had spoken only twice previously, one to discuss the severity of the prison system, the other to explain his motives. “I have to pay the price.”

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has argued in a statement that the testimony of Mr. Manning was done under the stress after the stress of a river and trial more than three years spent in prison. “The court martial will be satisfied that the humiliation of Bradley Manning,” ruled Mr Assange. “In light of this, the decision under duress to apologize to the American government in the hope of seeing her reduced to 10 years or more should be treated with compassion and understanding it.”

disorders of sexual identity

Alluding probably to his gender identity disorders, widely discussed at the hearing Wednesday, but his difficult childhood with alcoholic parents, Bradley Manning acknowledged he had “faults and problems” to be solved. But he refused to plead as “excuses.” “I understand that I must pay the price,” said the former intelligence analyst in Iraq. “I had other options, I would have used them,” he admitted. “Unfortunately, I can not go back and change things. I can that going forward. And I want to move forward,” he said. “I know I can and I will be a better person, I hope you can give me the chance to prove it, not by words but by actions,” concluded the young man, speaking again the Colonel Lind.

In a poignant testimony, his sister Casey Major and his aunt Debra Van Alstyne took turns talking about his traumatic childhood. On leaving the court, his lawyer David Coombs said in an exceptional speaking, that “Bradley was undoubtedly a person of heart and thought you Americans.” “His ultimate goal was to make this world a better place,” he added, to the supporters of the accused.